1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely sliced
400ml/14fl oz passata
75g/3oz cashew nuts
450g/1lb chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into strips
1 tbsp fresh pureed ginger
1 tbsp fresh pureed garlic
2 tbsp ghee
1 hot green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp fenugreek
2 tsp garam masala
bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
½ lemon, juice only
- for the chicken, heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
- Add the onions and cook until browned and beginning to caramelise.
- Blend the onions in a food processor with the passata and cashew nuts to form a smooth paste.
- Place the chicken in a bowl with the ginger and garlic. Toss well and leave to marinate for 3-5 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a large heavy-based pan, then add the chilli and cook for a minute.
- Add the chicken mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the passata, onion and cashew nut paste to the pan with 2-4 tablespoons of water. Bring to a simmer before adding the cumin, salt, fenugreek and garam masala.
- Cook for a further 1-2 minutes, then add the coriander and lemon juice, stir well and check the seasoning.
- Take a walnut-sized piece of the dough and roll into a ball in the palm of your hand. Roll each ball out until you have a circle the size of a saucer, keeping the surface well floured at all times.